Learn how to make a cozy DIY Garden Arbor for your yard. This beautiful Arbor is made from western red cedar which gives it a classy look and helps discourage insects because insects are repelled by the small of cedar. Below you will find a materials list and at the end you can watch a video of this Garden Arbor being built by the wonderful people at This Old House.
Lumber You will need:
All lumber listed is western red cedar.
– 2x4s. Get twelve 8-foot boards.
– 1x4s. Get at least four 8-foot boards.
– 1x2s. Get at least nine 8-foot boards.
– 2x6s. Get three 8-foot boards.
– 2x2s. Get two 8-foot boards or five 4-foot spindles for the purlins.
– 1/4-inch spacers, cut from scrap.
– Post anchors. Get four.
– Construction adhesive
– Stainless-steel trim-head screws. You need three sizes: 1 1/4 inch, 2 5/8 inch, and 3 inch.
Tools you will need:
– miter saw
– drill/driver and 1-inch paddle bit
– caulk gun
– 4-foot level
– combination square
– flexible curve to draw profile for rafter tails
Go to the NEXT PAGE to watch a video from This Old House with details on how to build this beautiful DIY Garden Arbor