For the longest time I have used plugin air fresheners to fill my home with the most amazing aroma’s, until I discovered that most, if not all air fresheners are toxic for people and pets. I was shocked to learn the truth and I quickly unplugged all of them.
Statistics show that air fresheners are actually more toxic than cigarettes! I didn’t want to believe it, but it’s true!
The Natural Resources Defense Council studied the effects of air fresheners, discovering that they currently undergo no safety testing. The results were disturbing, because they revealed high levels of phthalates, which are known to be especially harmful to children. These chemicals were even present in sprays which were claimed to be “All-Natural” and “unscented”. Phthalates were not disclosed in the list of ingredients for any of the products.
“Phthalates are hormone-disrupting chemicals that can be particularly dangerous for young children and unborn babies. Exposure to phthalates can affect testosterone levels and lead to reproductive abnormalities, including abnormal genitalia and reduced sperm production. The State of California notes that five types of phthalates — including one that we found in air freshener products — are ‘known to cause birth defects or reproductive harm.'”
— Natural Resources Defense Council
The chemical causes intentional damage to the mucous membrane, which is claimed to be temporary. However, no long-term studies have ever been done to test the effects of chronic exposure. It is important to remember that anything inhaled is immediately absorbed into the blood through the lungs relatively unchanged.
Dichlorobenzene is, in large part, the reason why so many pet birds die directly after the use of air fresheners. Due to hundreds of reports of bird deaths on the Internet, Procter & Gamble (Febreze manufacturer) funded its own internal study into this, and (without surprise) concluded that there are no safety issues whatsoever concerning pet birds, or human beings. (source)
The good news is that there is a safe organic all natural DIY Air Freshener Solution that we can use to continue to use our beloved plugin air-fresheners again safely and chemical free!
So don’t throw away your plugins… save them and refill them with Organic Essential oils!!
I found this amazing solution on a wonderful website called Mom4Real and as I read the article I had a huge DOH moment wondering why I had not thought of this myself!
You won’t believe how simple this is! So head to PAGE 2 and let’s get busy!