You may have seen my tutorial for making a Doily Lantern which uses a balloon and glue to create the finished product. I love balloons and all the wonderful things you can craft with them. Today I am going to share a tutorial for making a decorative DIY Glitter Bowl that you can use to put all sorts of do-dads in. You can also use it as a candle holder for those wider type candles that never seem to fit in anything else. Glitter Bowls will add a touch of decorative sparkle to your tables.
What you will need:
- Mod Podge (Learn how to make Homemade Mod Podge)
- Bowl for mixing
- Paint brush
- Get your balloon and blow it up to the size you want your bowl to be. The larger the balloon, the larger the bowl will be.
- Get your mixing bowl and add 2-3 tablespoons of mod podge to the bowl. Use more if you are making a large bowl.
- Add an equal portion of Glitter to the bowl of mod podge. You can add more glitter to thicken as needed to create a thick paste.
- Sit your balloon in a bowl to stabilize it and using your paintbrush, begin to paint the balloon, the more area you cover, the larger your bowl will be. A nice size is to cover just under half of the balloon. You can stagger the edges or make a nice straight edge, it’s up to you. Be creative!
- Allow it to dry completely overnight.
- You can get really creative at this point and make a new color of glitter glue to paint stripes, circles, hearts etc. to further decorate your bowl. You can even glue on flat pebbles for a more dramatic effect.
- Once you are done with your decorating and allowed the bowl to dry completely, it’s time to pop the balloon with your pin. Once popped, gently peel it away from the bowl and your bowl is finished!